Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Service Engine Soon

What does that mean? You better not drive another mile? Time to check the oil? Doomsday for your vehicle is coming? It seems to be running fine--other than the heater blower doesn't always work until you hit a bump in the road. Is the "service engine soon" a way of saying "get that fixed"?

Yesterday morning my van was giving me that message. I'm concerned. Is it safe to drive home? I chanced it (to be more precise, I forgot about it and didn't even look to see if the light was still on).

So this morning, I did what any good "what should I do?"er would do. I let Tom take my van and I drove his vehicle to work. So, as we speak, the van is at the shop to solve the mystery of the "service engine soon" light.

Maybe this "service engine soon" idea could be incorporated into different areas of my life-- physically (a little light on my body would be helpful)--sometimes I ignore symptoms thinking, "that will go away". Spiritually--I think a big light would be great! CAUTION!! GET BACK TO THE WORD AND PRAYER! Like turning over my possible engine problem to Tom, I'm thankful that I always have Someone to turn my big or little, possible or impossible problems to.

4 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

Scott had the truck in the shop today too for a tune-up. It needs a new oil pan gasket or something like that. I like the comparisons though!

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Pam said...

All is well! Turns out it was a loose gascap, a faulty service engine light, but it also got an oil change, transmission check and fluids, and MY HEATER IS FIXED! To the tune of $187. A good price for peace of mind.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Mrs. Patterson said...

It's nice to know that heater can be fixed, I'm hoping to need that fan to circulate the air conditioning. You're analogy is great. I heard Kevin Otter tell Gary Tobin that you can ignore those lights for awhile.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Mike said...

That light can be an actual harbinger of automotive doom however. I had the electronic control module (ECM) go in the old red Buick. Basically, you instrument pannel goes dead and the automatic clutch fails. So at a stop you have to shift into neutral and gun the engine to keep the car from stalling. In 1995 it was a $400 repair. That's a lot to change a module, methinks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home