Monday, September 11, 2006

A Trip Back in Time


Joyce and I had a wonderful weekend exploring the architecture of yesteryear! Logan Square Boulevard (where Mike now lives) is lined with homes built in the very early 1900's. Such craftmanship in woodworking, art glass, and masonry. I couldn't help but think about my two great grandfathers who both lived and worked in Chicago at the time--one as a cabinetmaker, the other as a sculptor. I wondered whether they could have done any of the work on those beautiful homes.

We also went to visit my grandparent's former home on the northwest side of Chicago, built in 1925. We were brave enough to ring the doorbell and gracious Beverly invited us in to see the home that I knew as a child (My grandparents moved to Florida when I was ten.) I told Beverly that I would email her pictures of her home and here is one of them. My mom went on a hunt for the pictures and when she did she also found some pictures of my great grandfather Peter Toneman and some of his sculptures. Now, I'm anxious to go back to Chicago to see if they are still there. I'm hoping to post these pictures of Peter Toneman, his sculpture of Archbishop Quigley and St. Peter located at Quigley Seminary in Chicago and Symbols of Love, Law, Peace, and Wisdom from the Cook County Criminal Court Building. My next project is to Google these places and see if the sculptures are still there. If these pictures don't post I'll try again later.

2 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, Blogger Pam said...

I tried to post pictures-- wouldn't work. I'll try again.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Mrs. Patterson said...

I'm waiting patiently and eagerly. This is exciting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home